Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Justice

My colleague, Geoffrey ROBERTSON, the UK lawyer, has voiced on the BBC my own sentiments about Bin LADEN. I am deeply troubled by the way this was handled and the failure, yet again, to respect a principle that is fundamentally American, I believe. That principle is that those accused of crimes are entitled to the same protection, regardless of how atrocious the crimes of which they are accused may be. That includes Osama Bin LADEN and and I am not at all proud of what we know so far about how the matter evolved in Pakistan. If the same sorts of efforts were made that would be made in the apprehension of a fugitive in the US by local or federal law enforcement were used in Pakistan, then I will change my view.
This report in the Guardian - later today - does not boost my confidence.

No comments: