Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mormons

I am doing my best to learn more about Mormons because I want to understand Gov. ROMNEY better. What I am finding is that the church seems to operate on the basis of "need to know" for the rest of us. There is a good deal of textbook information about the religion on web, but try to learn what we all generally can learn from the websites of local churches and you run into password protected spaces, sometimes clearly market - members only! Two things still bother me. One is the wearing of white-only in the temple; it has to be more complicated than trying to make everyone look the same. At least it seems that way to me. And the barring of the rest of us from the temple because, as one Mormon told me, is the "house of the Lord", really bothers me. I am uncomfortable with beliefs that say because of what we believe, we get to enter the Lord's house, but the rest of you must wait outside.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I think the new book, “Mormons: An Open Book” by Anthony Sweat would be helpful to you: http://www.amazon.com/Mormons-Open-Book-Anthony-Sweat/dp/1609088115.

Terry MAGUIRE said...

I'd prefer to read something a bit more independent http://www.anthonysweat.com/bio/